Saturday, September 8, 2018

Prison Strike 2018!

Eduardo and Andy discuss the recent prison strike called by Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee and Jailhouse Lawyers Speak.  We cover in detail each of the 10 demands of the strike, and talk about why they are important, and what they expose about the U.S prison system.

What's Left? Website:

Podcasts:
iTunes: 

Googleplaymusic:

stitcher:

Additional links:
Interview of IWOC member on prison strike

Mass Incarceration: 2018

IWOC

Prisoner Wages

Punishment Fails. Rehabilitation Works.

Brazil Museum Fires

2 comments:

D. B. Ruderman said...

Another great episode from Andy and Eduardo. I wanted to inquire about something Eduardo said about prison populations and studies showing that some prisoners had smaller brains. I wasn't sure if I was hearing that correctly. Unless I'm mistaken, phrenology, the science of measuring brains, was discredited in the 19th century. And for good reason in my understanding, insofar as it was used as a pretense for saying that Jews and Black and Brown people had smaller brains (relative to European "whites") and were therefore inferior. Maybe I misunderstood. In any case, another great program -- I learned a ton.

Andy L. said...

Thanks for this question! I am going to pass it along to Eduardo so he can respond. I 'think' he was actually speaking to the effect of being imprisoned on brain development..but I am not sure. I'll let Eduardo speak for himself. Anyway..I think your point is REALLY important to be clear on.